Shannen Doherty reveals breast cancer is back, now stage 4 - NBC News

Shannen Doherty reveals breast cancer is back, now stage 4 - NBC News


Shannen Doherty reveals breast cancer is back, now stage 4 - NBC News

Posted: 05 Feb 2020 12:00 AM PST

The actress Shannen Doherty revealed Tuesday that she got a second diagnosis of breast cancer, this time stage 4, about a year ago.

The "90210" and "Charmed" actress said she is going public with the diagnosis now because "it's going to come out in a matter of days or a week."

"I don't think that I've processed it. It's a bitter pill to swallow in a lot of ways," Doherty said in an interview that aired Tuesday on ABC News' "Good Morning America."

Shannen Doherty at a Paramount network launch party in Los Angeles on Jan. 18, 2018.Earl Gibson III / Getty Images file

Doherty, 48, was first diagnosed with breast cancer in 2015 and underwent treatment for about two years before announcing in 2017 that she was in remission.

Download the NBC News app for breaking news

She said that after both the initial diagnosis and the more recent one, "my first reaction is always concern about, 'How am I going to tell my mom? My husband?'"

"My mom is a ridiculously strong, courageous human being. So is my husband, but I worry about him," Doherty said.

"I'm petrified. I'm pretty scared," she added.

"There are definitely days where I say, 'Why me?' And then I go, 'Why not me? Who else?'" Doherty said. "Who else besides me deserves this? None of us do."

March 5, 201902:58

Doherty said that dealing with "90210" co-star Luke Perry's sudden death after he suffered a stroke at age 52 last year also had her asking why.

"Why wasn't it me? It was so weird for me to be diagnosed and then somebody who was seemingly healthy to go first," Doherty said.

She said she decided to act in the "90210" reboot, "BH90210," in part to honor Perry.

She also kept filming, working 16-hour days, to prove she "can work, and other people with stage 4 can work, too."

"You know, our life doesn't end the minute we get that diagnosis. We still have some living to do," Doherty said. But still, "I had moments of great anxiety where I thought I can't really do this."

So she confided in co-star Brian Austin Green on set.

"Brian was the one person of that group that knew that I told pretty quickly," Doherty said. "Prior to shooting, he would always call me and say, 'Listen, whatever happens, like, I have your back.'"

Download the NBC News app for breaking news

Doherty said she knew her most recent diagnosis would be made public soon because her health struggle is mentioned in a lawsuit she has filed against the insurance company State Farm.

"I'd rather people hear it from me," Doherty said. "I don't want it to be twisted. I don't want it to be a court document."

Doherty says in her lawsuit that the insurer denied claims she made after her house was damaged in the Woolsey Fire, which devastated parts of Southern California in 2018.

"I communicated with my insurance company. I called. I got passed around from claims adjuster to claims adjuster, so I ended up suing State Farm," Doherty said. "And the result has been one of the most horrific processes I have ever been through."

State Farm said in a statement to NBC News that the company empathizes with Doherty's "health issues, and wish her a full recovery," but "we strongly believe we have upheld our commitment to our customer and have paid what we owe on this claim. We are prepared to defend our position in court."

Doherty said she is taking on State Farm because "I want to be remembered for something bigger than just me."

"I'm taking a stand for all of us," she said, "through this lawsuit and by saying enough is enough, with big business and corporations running the little person over."

Attorneys for Doherty said they don't believe the "pertinent information" of the actress' complaint ever went beyond "a low-to-mid-level corporate attorney" before she spoke to ABC.

"We have to believe higher level executives would not have rushed to the same unreasonable, unreasoned and callous positions that have cost Shannen dearly in time, energy and emotional well-being all while suffering a terminal illness," the attorneys said in a statement Wednesday.

Jeremy Kyle Show producer found dead at home nine months after show was axed - Mirror Online

Posted: 28 Feb 2020 10:16 AM PST

Jeremy Kyle show producer Natasha Reddican was discovered dead by her boyfriend at his home in Greater Manchester on Thursday.

The TV worker, 31, had worked on the reality TV show for eight years, her role included booking guests and helping with the running of the ITV series.

She was made redundant along with others on the show in the wake of the row over the suicide of Steve Dymond  - who died following a drug overdose after failing a lie detector test on the show in 2019.

TV sources insisted to the publication she had played no part in booking Mr Dymond but had since left the programme.

Natasha Reddican was found dead at her home on Thursday

After Natasha's boyfriend found her police were called and attempts were made to save her but she died at the scene,.

In a statement this evening, ITV said: "Our thoughts are with her family and all those who knew her. She was a producer on The Jeremy Kyle Show and left ITV eight months ago, in June 2019.

She worked on the series for eight years
The series was axed after Steve Dymond killed himself


"As with all other former employees on the show she was offered support and counselling by ITV during the redundancy process and help in securing new employment.

"ITV arranged for a counsellor to be on site throughout the process to offer emotional support.

"Everyone also had access to the Employer Assistance Programme, which offers 24/7 counselling and emotional support.

Natasha was found by her boyfriend


"ITV also put in place training sessions designed to support people in securing their next roles.

"ITV also supports The Film and TV Charity, which has been set up to support those working within the industry, particularly freelancers, and helps fund its free, 24/7 support line offering confidential advice."

A pal paid tribute to Natasha today, saying: "I never thought I would ever have to write something like this.

"We were best friends, distant friends, didn't b***** talk to each other for a while friends, but never did I see the day I would ever have to write a goodbye to you so early in your life.

She had worked on the Kyle show booking guests


"From day one on Jezza K we clicked, my wifey - Valentine's Day cards to each other every year, our Prezzo lunches on a Monday and the pure banter we would have was brilliant."

"I remember we drank all the booze in your house one time and then made the decision to walk to the garage at an ungodly hour to get more, singing Bon Jovi's 'Living on a Prayer' at the top of our voices on the way there and back.

"We made each other laugh, we made each other cry, we absolutely p***** each other off. And even when we didn't talk I was so glad to see you were happy."

Mirror Online have contacted Greater Manchester Police and ITV for comment.

Jeremy Kyle, the show host, is still yet to address the death of guest Steve, who took his own life days after filming for The Jeremy Kyle Show.

Dymond took his own life days after filming for The Jeremy Kyle Show

During his stint, Steve failed a lie detector test and was said to be crushed by the results.

He was found dead in his home by his landlady, resulting in the immediate axing of the ITV daytime show in May 2019.

TV star Jeremy refused to attend last summer's select committee as MPs probed the aftercare provided by makers of reality TV.

The host swerved the Digital, Culture, Media And Sport Committee's invitation to have his say and be held accountable for what went on behind the scenes at his show.

Many former guests alleged they'd been plied with booze and wound up by producers before getting on the infamous stage, and some spoke of how the lack of aftercare left them suicidal and ostracised by their communities.

Earlier this week Jeremy hinted at a return to TV screens as a new dad, a year after his show was taken off-air.

Earlier this week Jeremy hinted at a return to TV screens as a new dad, a year after his show was cancelled

Read More

Showbiz editor's picks

Now the 54-year-old presenter is staging a return to the limelight later this year - and has vowed to "have his say" after "battling the unimaginable consequences" of the suicide of Steve.

His new manager Claire Powell announced he was back.

"So pleased to welcome the very talented and very real … Jeremy Kyle exclusively to @the_can_group For 14 years, Jeremy Kyle dominated Daytime TV with his hugely successful eponymous talk show," she wrote on Instagram .

"He's also proved a hit in prime time, fronting five successful series of his investigative current affairs brand, The Kyle Files.. Jeremy's runaway UK success was the catalyst for two syndicated US series as well as stints presenting two other ITV juggernauts This Morning and Good Morning Britain.

"Jeremy first came to prominence as a Sony Award-winning radio host who changed the game at BRMB, Virgin Radio, Capital FM, talkSPORT and talkRADIO. Known for his honest, engaging opinions, Jeremy has also authored numerous columns for The Sun and a bestselling book for Hodder & Stoughton.

"A committed father and family man, he's also a cancer survivor who has miraculously just welcomed a new son (and grandson!) into the world."

She added: "WATCH THIS SPACE!"

Do you have a story to sell? Get in touch with us at webtv@trinitymirror.com or call us direct 0207 29 33033

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Opinion | The heroes who built New York's stand-up comedy scene ... - The Washington Post

Peter Mayhew's death sparks reactions from Mark Hamill, other 'Star Wars' actors - Fox News