Letterkenny Season 12 Interview: Michelle Mylett & Dylan Playfair Talk "Processing" Sadness Of Series Finale - Screen Rant

Summary

  • Letterkenny season 12 marks the end of the beloved Canadian comedy, leaving the characters reflecting on their futures and wanting something new.
  • Stars Michelle Mylett and Dylan Playfair feel bittersweet about the show's ending, proud of their work, and grateful for the connection they made with each other.
  • Fans will miss the catchphrases from the show, such as "to be fair" and "boys, boys, boys," and the storyline with Reilly, Jonesy, and Katy brings a sweet nod to the show's roots.

Everyone's favorite hicks, skids and hockey players are saying their goodbyes with Letterkenny season 12. The hit Canadian comedy centered on the residents of the titular town is coming to an end with its latest season, finding its wide cast of characters reflecting on their futures as some ponder feeling stuck in their lives and wanting something new.

Jared Keeso, who again co-wrote the entire season, leads the Letterkenny season 12 cast alongside Nathan Dayles, Michelle Mylett, K. Trevor Wilson, Dylan Playfair, Andrew Herr, Tyler Johnston, Evan Stern, Dan Petronijevic, Melanie Scrofano, Jacob Tierney, Lisa Codrington, Kaniehtiio Horn, Kamilla Kowal and Alex McCooeye. Full of homages to the show's early seasons and some of the best character development yet, the beloved Canadian comedy ends on an emotional high note.

Related
15 Best Letterkenny Episodes, Ranked

Letterkenny is a beloved Canadian sitcom that's finding international appeal, and those looking to get into it can see the best episodes here.

On the heels of its premiere, Screen Rant interviewed stars Michelle Mylett and Dylan Playfair to discuss Letterkenny season 12, how they're processing the sadness over the show's ending and their favorite catchphrases.

Michelle Mylett & Dylan Playfair Talk Letterkenny Season 12

Michelle Mylett as Katy looking happy in Letterkenny season 12

Screen Rant: It's so great to see you both again and talk more about Letterkenny, although a little bittersweet, knowing that it is the end, for at least the time being. Michelle, I'd like to start with you, and then Dylan, what is it like looking back on the legacy you guys have created with the show now that it's closing its doors?

Michelle Mylett: I mean, bittersweet is the perfect way to describe it. Mostly sweet. It's been a lot to process. I mean, obviously, we shot the season a year ago, and so we've had more time to process, but watching the final season and announcing it to everybody else, it almost re-brought up everything. I feel sad, obviously, I'm gonna miss it so much. I feel so proud at the same time of what we did, and also the connection we made with each other, and I feel just really thankful for everything

Dylan Playfair: Yeah, do you ever watch Just for Laughs? You know at the very end when the little green monster comes out and cries, "Mommy, it's over!"? I've kind of felt like that green monster for the last year, because the show is so fun and brought so much joy to so many people. There's no other feeling than pride, you know, proud of what we did, and proud of the way it affects the world. And to hear people's stories of how our silly show has helped them through things, I could fill a long, long notebook with stories of folks that have watched this show and had it help them through times that I can't fathom.

So, that has me holding my head very, very high. But also, the little kid in me is super sad that school's out, and we're not going back. But maybe one day, who knows, as the story ended with some very open, I think, storylines not fully tied up in a bow. Perhaps there's an opportunity for spinoffs, movies, reunions, who knows? But I love these people, and I would come back for more yesterday if the opportunity presented itself.

Dylan Playfair and Andrew Herr as Reilly and Jonesy playing football in Letterkenny season 12

Well, you both should be proud of it. One thing I love to ask talent whenever a show is coming to an end is that you've played these characters for so long, and with characters like Katy and Reilly and Jonesy, you have such great catchphrases that you've dropped, and traits that you've embodied throughout the show. Is there any one Letterkenny quote that you're going to truly miss being part of your work lexicon as you move on?

Michelle Mylett: Off the top of my head, I think "to be fair", I don't know if I said it a lot before or it's just infiltrated my brain, because I do say it a lot in my present life. I think that must be because of Letterkenny. The other ones I probably, to be totally frank, won't use, and might be kind of weird if I was like Michelle saying "pitter patter" to people, it'd be a bit of a bad look. But, yeah, they were all really fun, and it was cool to watch our fan base catch on to them so much. It's got a bit of a cult vibe to it, in a good way, and yeah, I'll miss that and also enjoy people still using those words.

Dylan Playfair: Yeah, I had to change the way I spoke, because it was hijacked by the character I played, Reilly. Lots of what I said off set was what Riley said in the show. I'm the oldest of three boys, all three of us played hockey, my dad played in the NHL, coaches NHL, my uncle played in the NHL. I was born around hockey guys, so lots of my vernacular came from my home life. Which, the opposite of Michelle, I've now had to adjust, so people don't think I'm a weird guy who lives in character, a full-time method actor. [Chuckles] So, yeah, most of those words were mine to begin with, and now, I'm opening up my thesaurus and finding new ways to say "boys, boys, boys". [Laughs]

Michelle Mylett as Katy posing in front of barn in Letterkenny season 12

I personally use "Texas-sized 10-4" all the time. Now, I love that in season 12, as Katy almost leaves the country, Reilly and Jonesy have this sweet sort of realization that they still do love her and care about her. What was that like for both of you exploring that storyline with these characters after so many weird ups and downs in their relationship throughout the show?

Michelle Mylett: Yeah, I loved to see it, as well. I think it was a really sweet kind of nod obviously to season 1, and all of their roots. It's kind of like a first love thing where, regardless of the ups and downs, you have a tender place for that person. And yeah, I just thought it was really cute and very fitting. It's like, of course Katy ended up with two boyfriends. At the end of the day, she's not going to just have one, she is going to have two, and I think that made a lot of sense.

Dylan Playfair: Yeah, it was really, really sweet anytime the three or four of us or five of us are on screen together, whenever there's more than two. It's a fun scene, and to pay homage to the first Reilly-Jonesy-Katie trifecta, I think it's really fitting. Almost every scene was fitting, there's lots of callbacks to the earlier seasons that I think fans will appreciate, and as emotional as it may be for the fans, I'm right there with you, man. It was a lot of on the edge of filming that last season of, "Am I gonna laugh or cry? I'm not sure. I might do both."

About Letterkenny Season 12

Popular posts from this blog

Opinion | The heroes who built New York's stand-up comedy scene ... - The Washington Post

The female celebrities who proposed to their partners, from Pink to Elizabeth Taylor - Yahoo Style